RRP 50g Tin $16.90
RRP 150g Tin $36.90
Kawakawa Gold - Healing Salve for Horses & Hounds
Kawakawa Gold is a unique, hand-made 100% natural healing salve, packed with soothing organic medicinal herbs and Active 15+ Manuka Honey, that aids in the topical treatment of minor skin conditions and skin irritations.
Treats irritated, dry, flaky, inflamed, yeasty or cracked skin. Can also be used as a Paw Balm for dogs and a salve for horse's skin complaints. Creates a
nourishing barrier to block contamination while healing. Use our Kawakawa Massage Soap first to strip away bacteria and yeast before applying for the best
results. (Do not use any soaps on open bleeding wounds).
A word from the creator: "From my experience with my own horses and dogs and the issues I found with inflamed and raw skin from flea bites, ticks, and
eczema, I decided to make my own infusion, without having to rely on drugs or liver damaging prescriptions. I was told to use steroids, creams, drugs, etc.
But I wanted an alternative solution from conventional medicine that wasn't harmful to my animal's liver and systems. One day out of desperation for one of
my dogs that had a major reaction to a flea bite and had rubbed his skin raw, I spent weeks researching the healing properties of active biochemistry plant
constituents from my prior years of studying herbal medicine. I wish I had taken before and after photos - the results were incredible; my dog's hair grew back,
and the essential oils used in the formulation alleviated further itching and also acted as a deterrent to future parasites and itching. The salve soothed his dry
and itchy skin and aided in his fungal and yeast infection which is very common in dogs. It also helped with my horse's mud fever caused by bacteria and
dampness and provided a nourishing barrier with the beeswax, to prevent further irritation."
Our formulation is created over weeks of cold-infusing organic herbs into Omega 3,6 & 9 rich oils. The constituents and healing properties of the plants seep
into the cold oils without damaging any of the healing benefits. The oil, in a few weeks, goes from pale to a dark green colour. Cold-infusing by cooling down or
freezing the herbs into the oil will ensure that the fragile medicinal properties within the leaves are not lost in the process. The only essential oils used after the
herbal infusion and added to the Beeswax base are natural Lavender and Cedarwood.
Do not use on skin then place hands back into the product. This can contaminate the balm by introducing bacteria from your hands.
Please use gloves or disposable spoon etc. Please consult a vet first if any animal requires stitches, has an infection or requires
surgical extraction or internal antibiotics. This salve is not an antibiotic or antiseptic. It is formulated for sensitive healing, cracked
and flaky skin, inflamed skin, bacterial and yeast irritations and barrier protection. Please consult a vet if symptoms persist.
Apply topically to skin
Organic Infused Herbs (Takes one month to infuse, with a medicinal herbal cold infusion- photo below)
- Kawakawa - Organic Dried Herb: Contains healing & soothing analgesic properties for skin. Well known in New Zealand as a medicinal plant, for its ability to assist in healing numerous skin conditions and irritations including eczema, rashes, burns, lacerations and many others.
- German Chamomile: An age old medicinal herb used as far back as Ancient Rome. The plant's healing properties come from its daisy-like flowers, which contain volatile oils (including bisabolol, bisabolol oxides A and B, and matricin) as well as flavonoids (particularly a compound called apigenin) and other therapeutic substances. When applied to the skin it works to heal inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory properties as well as soothing and calming itchiness, rashes and other skin complaints. Chamomile is also known for being a relaxant for sore and achy muscles and to have a calming effect on people and animals.
- Calendula: Soothes & hydrates inflamed & infected skin. When infused into an oil is a powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial agent, and antiseptic. One of the complex characteristics of Calendula oil is a compound called triterpenoid. Used topically to relieve dermatitis, eczema, mud fever, rashes, and irritated dry skin.
- Aloe Vera: Has a vast range of vitamins including Vitamin E, minerals, amino acids & enzymes, plant proteins, and liposomes. Aloe is generally known for its soothing, skin healing properties and has been used as a medicine for centuries to treat sunburns, scrapes, cuts, rashes, and dry skin.
- Comfrey: Used for thousands of years in traditional Chinese medicine. Comfrey has several medicinal properties including being astringent and it also increases cell production due to its high concentration of allantoin, causing rapid healing of a wound site. High in Calcium and Vitamin C to soothe and coat irritated tissues and reduce inflammation and scarring.
- Dandelion Root: Rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, Calcium, and Detoxifiers. Contains a highly alkaline extract which has germicidal, insecticidal and fungicidal properties to fight skin diseases and soothe inflammation.
Base of Salve
- 15+ Active Manuka Honey: Full of vitamins, Amino Acids & Minerals and is naturally anti-microbial; promoting healing & repairing cell damage. Over twenty years of clinical trials and research have shown that New Zealand UMF Active Manuka Honey has proven antibacterial properties and offers great support for the body's natural healing system. The UMF describes the anti-bacterial properties (from non-peroxide activity).
- Virgin Organic Raw Coconut Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil & Sweet Almond Oil: are rich in essential fatty acids and gentle on sensitive skin as well as containing essential vitamins and antioxidants.
- NZ Northland Organic Raw Beeswax
- Carnauba Wax
Certified Essential Plant Oils
- Lavender Certified Essential Oil: Repels bugs and takes the sting away from bites. It is a natural antiseptic and anti-bacterial oil with good antioxidant properties
- Cedarwood Certified Essential Oil: Alleviates itching and inflammation and helps to repel fleas through its antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, fungicidal and insecticidal properties.